Forum

Filters  

RSS
drtanko
(@drgregorygomez)

Hi Matthew. What is your take on Grad ND filters and CPL screw filters. I believe that you get what you pay for. With that being said, I am considering purchasing the LEE KIT. Quality of my image is the most important to me so I would pay a decent amount for filters. However, is it possible to get good quality images with cheaper filters? I primarily shoot landscapes and seascapes with a tripod. Any advice is appreciated as always. Thanks, Greg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2013 7:29 am
Matthew Gore
(@admin)
Member Admin

I agree, you get what you pay for... usually. Filters are just like anything else; some companies charge a lot for printing their name on the product.

In general, I use multiple exposures rather than ND filters (I don't like the idea of spending thousands of dollars on the best optics and then sticking a flat piece of cheap glass or resin in front of it), but they can certainly be handy in some instances. I've used a relatively cheap Cokin set, a Lee set, and Sign-Ray filters, but I've never done side-by-side comparisons... and I've never had any obvious problems with any of them, except some extra flare... but that wasn't brand specific.

With circular polarizers, I've used Canon, Hoya, B+H, and Marumi, and some various cheap ones. Again, I've never done side-by-side tests, but I have noticed that the cheaper ones just didn't wrk very well. For my money, the Marumi filters work as well as the B+H, and are significantly less expensive. In fact, I've seen someone do a test of them... I'll see if I can find it.

The important thing is to use a good quality, coated filter so that you don't get much extra flare or chromatic aberration. In many situations, the cheap filters will work just fine... but in difficult light, they'll degrade your image (back light, cross-light).

- Matt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2013 8:26 am
Matthew Gore
(@admin)
Member Admin

Here we are... the test results I mentioned:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

I just checked on Amazon, and the Marumi 77mm circular polarizer is about $90, compared to the B+H of the same size, which is About $120.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2013 8:33 am
maha
 maha
(@maha)

Hello. I am also a photographer and love to shoot portraits and landscapes too. I did not use filters for my photos too much because of it kind of looks fake to me, I just set the contrast, brightness, and saturation of the photos. Recently I was on Murree winter tour packages from Karachi and took several beautiful photos of snowy landscapes. As it is the winter season, therefore, the pictures come out very beautiful dark and original. I just set the saturation of the pictures and all done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/12/2018 3:55 am
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register